Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Shwillie" - Dedicated to My Almost-8-Year-Old Nephew





This post is dedicated to William Tito Arreola - my almost-8-year-old nephew. I had originally wanted to save this one until his birthday, which is May 6th, but just couldn't wait. 

Willie was the first grandchild born into the Abercrombie family. Before my sister Juli gave birth to this beautiful baby boy, things were a lot different in our lives. Sure, we loved each other and shared some great, close moments, but something was lacking.

Pre-Willie, a Sunday evening in our home looked something like this:

Dad: Watching TV downstairs (hunting and fishing shows or Emeril to be exact!)
Mom: Making dinner and then reading or correcting her students’ papers.
Juli: Out with friends…oh the days, huh sis?!
Jesse: Playing video games or his drums (oohhhhhh his drums…those freaking LOVELY drums!!)
Me: On the phone with friends or at church.

Post-Willie, Sunday evenings at my parents’ house looked like this:

All of us sitting in the living room upstairs (TV off, mind you) watching Willie dance on the coffee table in his diaper…or cheering him on as he learned to take his first steps…or sharing stories of the irresistibly cute things he had done the day before.

Little did we know the impact this roly-poly bundle of blonde love would have on our family. After Willie was born, there was a huge difference in all of our relationships. Around the time he was one or so, I stepped back and realized that we were no longer solely focused on our own agendas. He was our glue. We all fell so head-over-heels in love with this child and through him were able to relate more to each other, learn more about each other, and therefore appreciate each other a whole lot more.

I adore this kid. He has an innate ability to make you feel loved and special, and we should all learn from his sincerity. To tell you the truth, his looming eighth birthday has me feeling a bit nervous. EIGHT YEARS OLD??!! That is just a bit too close to those dreaded teenage years. Part of me wishes he would always stay a baby (he’s still a baby, right?!), but I am also excited to see him grow up.

Just a few cute little things about this special little boy I’d like to record so that when he’s “all growed up”, we don’t forget his cute little kid-ness…

**He does and always has called me “Aunt” – I’m pretty sure he didn’t know my actual name until he was five. I nixed “Auntie” for fear of being called “Auntie Em” way before he was born.

**He loves, I mean LOVES sugar…it’s an I-don’t-care-if-my-teeth-rot-out-of-my-head kind of love. This child has been able to eat an entire landfill of bubblegum flavored Coldstone ice cream all by himself since he was three (um, not that I have EVER let him do that Juli J )

**He has a whole series of great adventure stories named after him and his little brother Taylor. These boys love to be told stories, so one night we created the “Shwillie and Shwaylor” stories. You know he’s been hanging out with Aunt a little too long when he starts calling his mom “shwom” and his dad “shwad”.

**He has moves – somehow he can dance like he’s had lessons. I will forever have pictures in my head of him break-dancing to “I’m Bringing Sexy Back” on New Year’s Eve 2006. In fact, Willie was the shining star of mine and Steve’s wedding reception. Once he saw we had music, a dj and a dance floor, he couldn’t wait to get out there – danced until he was covered in sweat and entertained us all the whole night!


Dear Shwillie:

Know that you can do whatever you decide you want to do in life if you put your whole heart into it. Listen to your Dad and Mom’s advice. Learn from your Grammy and Pa. Try not to make the mistakes you will see me make. Learn how to be an amazing daddy like your daddy. Learn how to love and give freely of yourself like your Mommy and Grammie Glenda. Learn how to work and play hard like your Pa, Uncle Jesse, and Uncle Steve.  Be true to yourself. You are an individual and God has given you special talents and gifts. By being yourself, as you have made so many peoples lives brighter already!

Oh, and please, please don’t ever stop letting me give you hugs and kisses! …and holding my hand while I read you stories.

Love,

Aunt (A.K.A. Shant)

Oooo I wish I could squeeze his baby cheeks again!!!

Loved getting his picture taken :) 

He's about three in this pic...still lovin' the camera.

Willie and me playing in the waves in Hawaii

Cowboy!

Dancing...

Sportin' the camo

Willie and Syd - they love each other!


My sis Juli with her hubby Pat and kids Willie and Taylor.

3 comments:

  1. Em, what a sweet post! I remember when Willie was just a newborn. I went with you to your grandmas house, and I got to hold him! Wow, can't believe it has been almost 8 years. He is one handsome little guy. Nephews are just the greatest! I have two and they just melt my heart and make me so happy. Happy Early Birthday Willie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me 10 minutes to read this, I am crying so hard I can't see the words...Someone else is going to have to read this to him because he is going to wonder what my problem is and that is way to hard to explain! Thank you for loving my child like your own and reminding me what a treasure he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is all so true! i am so proud to be involved in willies life. reading this makes me realize that even though i am realy busy i still need to find more time for this amazing young mind, and just be more involved! thanks sis! love ya

    ReplyDelete