Monday, March 15, 2010

Happiness Is...

(Wanted this pic at the end of the blog, but couldn't figure out how to get it there without having duplicates on the post - sorry, I am technically challenged!)


It's a gorgeous sunny day, and I am feeling quite chipper (thank you Damariz for visiting – friends like you make a good day gooder). Hehe…why is “gooder” not a word anyway? Seems like a nice enough word to me.

I decided to write a super chirpy, positive post about all of the things in life that make me happy…one of those posts that will make me want to throw something breakable against the wall when I’m having a not-so-chipper day. I’d love to say that looking back on a blog like this would make me feel happy on a bad day, but I know myself too well to say that, and I’m really trying to be honest here!

So here they are, not in any specific order:

Daises. They are so simple, but they are perfect. How many of you have played “he loves me; he loves me not” with these?? I’ve probably done it at least once for each boyfriend I’ve had…and it wasn’t just when I was a kid J

Little kid love. My friend Damariz’s two-year-old boy Markie came over today. As they were leaving my apartment he says, “love you more Emmy”. I say, “no, I love you more Markie.” He responds with, “love you MOST Emmy.” What can possibly be wrong in the world when a perfect little boy “loves you MOST??”

A good glass of wine. If you know me well, you know that I’m a sucker for red wine. I’ll admit that the first time I tried red wine I hated it – probably would have rather drank fingernail polish remover. But what people had told me was true…once you acquire the taste for it, there is no going back. Some of my favorites?? Solaris Merlot, Silver Oak Zinfandel, or generally any super dark cab.

My husband. The other day I was feeling blue and he came and cuddled real close to me on the couch. All of a sudden, all was right in the world. Stephen has a way of helping me to see things simply, rather than complicating issues to a level of chaos.

The gym. I know – some of you may stop reading at this point, believing me mad. There is just something so satisfying about the sweat, the challenge, and the momentary pain in pushing myself to finish that one last rep. I swear – just walking into the gym gives me an automatic boost of Serotonin. Put me on the treadmill or any cardio equipment though, and I will watch the clock until the 30 minutes or so is over…DESPISE those stupid machines.

Those God moments. Do you know what I’m talking about?? …because they are hard to describe. It’s when you open the Bible to read a few scriptures and all of a sudden, something you have read 27 times makes sense. Or when you are just going about your daily routine and, unexpectedly, your heart is filled with faith – the kind of ABSOLUTE faith that causes you to make scary decisions.

My Baby Love. She stops sucking during a nursing session just to give me a huge, toothless grin. She so innocently coos at her sweet little face in the mirror on her swing. She makes my heart flutter every day, even after I’ve changed 10 poopy diapers and wiped up countless piles of puke.

A Happy Mess,

Em

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the gym...and workout machines! When i head out on the track or the trail, I feel like I can conquer the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH I WISH I felt that way about the gym. Ha! :(

    I agree with you completely...seeing your baby smile makes the world RIGHT. 100%.

    So glad you had a happy day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and when you download a pic, make sure your curser is where you want the pic to go, because unless you have patience {which I don't} that's where it will end up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to feel that way about the gym... What are you on? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Us Four: I'm not sure!! Someone's probably sneaking something into my food, because I never would have thought that way a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete