Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Possible New Endeavor...




I am not creative or crafty in any way. Every time I say that, people try to encourage me..."oh, I'm sure you are and you just don't know it! Give yourself a little bit of credit. " Let's make something clear...not only am I not creative or crafty in any way, but the thought of sewing or painting or creating something with my hands is close to the last thing on earth I would want to do.

If you’ve seen my apartment, you may think that I have some kind of creative decorating ability that I am not disclosing. Fact: when we were buying furniture two years ago, I walked into a showroom, saw a set-up I liked, and said, “I want that” – rug and all. I cheat. My interior decorator-ish sister has ended up picking out pictures, frames, etc. and setting up different areas in our place EVERY time she has come to visit. Oh, and our curtains?? I took my Mother-In-Law to the store with me and asked her what she thought about different colors until she pretty much picked out our curtains for me. So the fact is that I have done virtually nothing…and nor do I want to.

But take note: I have some crazy creative friends who are making jewelry, hoodies, purses, etc that look like they came straight out of a fashion mag. (Check out Amy and Danae’s Etsy shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/evystree and http://www.etsy.com/shop/featherandbranch) Although it isn’t my thing to make anything like this, it’s definitely my thing to buy them!! The above pictures are of the locket necklace and hoodie I recently purchased from these shops.

Anyway, I say all of that to say that I am thinking of starting something new that will make us some extra mullah, and that has virtually no overhead cost. I would assist people looking for work in writing their resumes and cover letters. This sort of thing comes fairly easy for me. The English language isn’t something I necessarily remember learning much about in school but it has always come naturally to me (don’t ask me what I think about Math, as I would probably develop some sort of permanent heart damage due to stress).

I have Robert Half, International (staffing firm where I worked as a recruiter/staffing manager) to thank for my experience in getting people jobs. Over the two year period of time I worked for them, I transformed many dull, monotonous, unnoticeable resumes and cover letters into tools that got well-deserving folks new jobs.

So…what do you all think? I’m really excited about this. Thank you to my In-Laws Steve and Janice for the idea – I love love love my In-Laws by the way (and no, I am not just saying that in order to rack up more babysitting hours…maybe J ).

Oh the Possibilities,

Em

3 comments:

  1. Girl! You totally got this! :) I remember what a help you were to me when I was out there looking for a job, so I know that you can help all sorts of people.(In fact, Em helped me land the Microsoft job that I am currently in.) I say, if it's what you want to do to get some extra "mullah" as you say, go for it! I'll make sure to keep my ears open and pass anyone along to you that needs help in this area. I support working for yourself 100%!
    --D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh...thanks for mentioning me! :)

    I love your "new" wedding pic and the pic of syd on top! So cute!!

    And I have been wanting to text you all day but my new phone didn't transfer all my numbers so I didn't have it...BUT Syd's hoodie is almost done and it is the very first hoodie to be put on my child dress form!! :) It looks so cute. I'll post a pic to facebook tomorrow.

    Ok..YES!! You should!! I wonder if you could join etsy?!? I'm half serious, but really, I do wonder? you could have resume choices you can choose from,etc. Hmmm...I love this idea.

    And for what its worth, I had NO desire to do anything crafty until last fall. I seriously could care less about sewing. But I think God sometimes drops things in our laps...sounds like He might have done that for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I'm thinking you should create blog like this one, where there are paypal links and they pay you in advance for the resume...you have a paypal link for each style/type {? sorry, not sure on the names of resumes} and then take it from there. You coud totally promote this on fb and other places.

    of course, the economy is on your side, but I'm sure you know all this...

    anyway, just saw this blog and thought of you. :)

    http://ritassweetshop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete