Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday Little Squid

My Dear Little Princess,


I never thought I'd call you "Princess" - it's just not my style (or so I thought), but it's the nickname that keeps slipping out of my mouth lately. I can't help it!


You are 1 year old today. As I reminded your Daddy of this this morning I started to cry. You are more fun and more beautiful than ever before, and I love this stage in your life. It's just that it's going so fast, and we cannot get yesterday back.


In your short life so far you have taught me to slow down a little, because the laundry piled up on the couch, or the toilet that needs scrubbing, or the bed that needs making will be there tomorrow...but you are changing daily. Momma and Dadda are reminded to pay attention to every detail, because you will be on to some new, exciting trick tomorrow. Here are some of those tricks you've been up to lately...


You discovered that you can in fact get to those toys that live in the bath tub if you get on your tippy-toes and reach until you fall head-first into the tub. You were pretty proud of that one. 






You figured out how to give Daddy a real good workout by having him push you around the apartment for hours on your new Harley Davidson (yes, I said a Harley) that Grandpa Steve got you for Christmas.


Your vocabulary is growing by the minute it seems and you are soaking everything up just like a sponge. I guess this means no more Keeping up with the Kardashians and 16 and Pregnant for Mommy while you're awake. So far you say "Momma" (when you're tired or upset), "Dadda" (when you're excited), "more" (when you're hungry), "meow" (when you see a kitty), and "whoa" (when you're impressed with something). 


There are a few things we know about you for sure, and one of them is that you do not have a shy bone in your body...


New people are often your favorite people, and we have had to restrain you from jumping into strangers' arms. We took you to your Grammie and Pa's house in Washington for your first Christmas. On the plane ride there, we were sitting next to an older man you decided was the most interesting person alive (probably due to the hand-held game he was playing...what's with you and electronics??) Anyway, you pushed me away and and fussed until I let him hold you...and you did not want to come back to Mommy. I have to admit I was pretty embarrassed!  Needless to say the guy fell in love with you and kept trying to convince me to let him take you home to his wife (not so sure what he thought about you trying to poor his Sprite all over his lap though.) 


You point, screech, babble, and smile at people wherever we are. When someone pays you lots of attention, you get extra excited and shake your head back and forth like a rock star (not sure where you learned this...Uncle Jesse??) What is so amazing is that wherever we go, I see you brightening up the days of over-worked, over-tired, and over-stressed people. 


I took you to the park for the first time this week. You were so overwhelmed with excitement that you didn't know what to do with yourself. For a while you just stood, studying the other children with a curious, sly smile. 






Then you discovered the slide. Oh how I wish I could have gotten a video of this, but it was impossible to hold on to such a bouncy, excited baby while taking video at the same time. You would squeal, pant, and shake your head back and forth (the rock star move) each time I set you at the top of the slide...and you cried big elephant tears when slide-time was over. There are no words to describe how happy it made me to see you so happy to discover a new joy in life, and how once again you reminded me to take advantage of those little things that are so often the best things in life. 


You loved climbing the stairs too. What you didn't appreciate was the Mommy insisting she hold onto you so you didn't fall. You are the most independent 1-year-old I have ever encountered!






You should know that your Mommy and Daddy are completely in love with you. Our hearts are full. Learning to take care of you and discovering how much we love you has made us love each other more. The other night I asked your Daddy what he thought of when he thought of you becoming a teenager some day and having boys knocking at your door. Daddy got real serious and tense and said he couldn't talk about it. My advice to you is that you don't grow up, because Daddy might just put you in a bubble! 


He has, after all, put you in a bag...






The truth is that we all know that you will grow up, and I am excited to see who you will become. We are doing our best to trust God in leading us to raise you the way He has intended. Things aren't perfect, and they never will be, but more than anything we pray that you understand what true Love really is, and that you find the confidence you need through a relationship with your Creator to live life without fear.


Love never gives up. 
Love cares more for others than for self. 
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. 
Love doesn't strut, 
Doesn't have a swelled head, 
Doesn't force itself on others, 
Isn't always "me first," 
Doesn't fly off the handle, 
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, 
Doesn't revel when others grovel, 
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, 
Puts up with anything, 
Trusts God always, 
Always looks for the best, 
Never looks back, 

But keeps going to the end

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 (The Message)




Love,


Momma


Dad holding you for the first time...



You were about 5 1/2 lbs here...soooo tiny!

First bath at home...you let us know right away that you loved the water!

Relaxing with Mom...

And some recent photos of the whole fam...






3 comments:

  1. She is beautiful and sweet! Just like her momma.... what a precious girl you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful Emily, as is your baby girl ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry!! So sweet!! She is just beautiful Emily! Happy birthday to the little girl. I pray there are many more blessed years to come filled with love and laughter! xoxo

    ReplyDelete